Leaving the NestSubmitted by Financial Planning Hawaii on May 30th, 2018
Leaving the Nest
My oldest son, Noah, just turned 18... Here are some of the financial planning steps we took to help nudge him into adulthood on the right foot:
- Opened an online bank account in his name.
- Applied for his first credit card (pending) to help him begin building his credit history.
- Established an Acorns account with a link to his bank account (and soon to his credit card) to help educate and engage him in investing
- Established his own LinkedIn page to help begin building his business profile and network.
- Had him complete and notarize his Hawaii advance health care directive. This critical document will allow Stacey and/or me to make medical decisions for him if he is in an accident or otherwise mentally or physically incapacitated.
NOTE: We did not need to register him for Selective Service, since enrollment is automatic for all students who complete a FAFSA. We did, however, have him register to vote.